Tyke Pierce Construction in conjunction with Alpine Masonry saved this fine old building in 2016 through a structural repair and exterior masonry restoration project. Here is a brief History of this building located at 1009 Lincoln Avenue. The Pilot Print Shop originally built in 1909, and was the first local newspaper in northwest Colorado. The first issue was printed on July 31, 1885. After a fire destroyed the log building on this site which had housed the press from 1885 thru 1909. A temporary corrugated iron structure was erected within the next couple of weeks, from which the newspaper was published during the summer and fall of 1909. Ground on the new sandstone and brick building was broken in early September 1909, and by early December it was completed. This new building was constructed as the Steamboat Pilot Newspaper and Print Shop, and it has been associated with the newspaper throughout nearly all its history. It is believed that this building is historically significant, for its long historic use as the Steamboat Pilot newspaper office. This building is considered too have architectural significant for its fine sandstone and brick construction. It is considered a distinctive example of an early twentieth century commercial building.
After the exterior restoration project was completed, Tyke Pierce Construction was hired by a third party to remodel the west side of the split Building into a brand new Tavern. The business was sold shortly there after and now goes by the name of The Press in honor of the past local newspaper office.