Tyke Pierce Construction Company History

Tykes Story


 Lloyd B. Pierce (Tyke) owner of Tyke Pierce Construction was born in Steamboat Springs, Colorado on October 4th, 1950. I started riding along with my father to job sites when I was just four years old. I took to construction like a duck takes to water. To this day I love everything about it. I began my working life by following my big brother (and idol) Tom Pierce, and my father W. Lloyd Pierce. My father was the most knowledgeable and capable man I have ever known. 

     I attended Colorado State University from 1968 to 1971, majoring in Industrial Construction Management. From 1971 to May 1975 I worked for the family company. Then in 1975 my wife wanted to move to Nebraska to be closer to her family so we moved and I went to work for a contractor in Nebraska and nearly starved to death working for $ 3.50 an hour as a journeyman carpenter. After four long months of that, I was fortunate enough to hear about a construction "Boom" in Brush, Colorado. I followed the wind to Brush and started my own business doing government assisted remodels for the elderly. Next, I came upon an opportunity to team up with a local realtor, in two years we built thirty six new homes in the area. Unfortunately, the national economy came along and swept all the profits away, so I had to start over. I was lucky enough to get a few jobs including: two Bank additions and the High School.

     In 1979, I returned to Steamboat Springs and rejoined with my father's business in order to restore the local train depot.This was our introduction to historical restorations in the Yampa Valley. In 1983, I married Linda Nell Norris, daughter of Ester and Cyril Norris and granddaughter of Warren and Lucy Rider homestead ranchers in the Elk River Valley. We were married on August 6th, 1983.

     In the last twenty years we have completed more than fifty projects in all phases of construction. In 2004 we were asked to look at Historical Restoration of Perry Mansfield Camp. We completed a full restoration of ten of their buildings between 2004 and 2011. We also completed the Historical Restorations of the Crawford House, Dobbs House, Maxwell/Squire Building and the Solandt Memorial Hospital in Hayden, Colorado. We have also completed the exterior renovation of seven large condominium complexes during the last twenty years.

     I truly love this valley and all that it means to so many folks. I can not imagine a better place to have been given the opportunity to grow up. My only wish is that my reputation and memory may be as honorable and respectful as the four great gentlemen that proceeded me in this business to which I owe all my gratitude and respect. 


Tyke Pierce Construction Company History

Albert Ohman's Story


     Our family's story in Northwest Colorado begins with my Great-Grand parents, Albert John Ohman and Ida Amelia Scott Ohman. Albert was born in Sweden on January 12,1866. He immigrated to America at the age of 16 arriving in New York in 1882. From there he made his way to Minnesota finding work as a stone mason. Ida was born in Saint Paul Minnesota May 14th,1871. While staying with her sister and brother in-law Ida met Albert in 1894, and they where married on October 26th, 1895. All three of their children where born in Saint Paul: Pearl Violet (who was my grandmother) born July 31st,1896, Russell Clarence born November 20th, 1898, and Myrtle Irene born January 12th,1900.  

      In 1901, Albert along with his brother Ed began taking jobs helping to build the railroads. Ida had since been diagnosed with Tuberculosis, her doctor recommended she move to a higher and drier climate similar to Colorado's. So westward they went, first stopping in Iowa where home was two tents pitched out in the orchard for several months. As a "railroad family" tent living was regular fare with Albert moving west to keep up with the boom in new rail lines. In 1903, Albert signed a contract with the Denver & Salt Lake railroad company to head a powder-dynamite-crew. He ran a total of three crews of men blasting cuts through the granite outcroppings of the Rocky Mountains as the Denver & Salt Lake rail headed west. Denver was home for the Ohman family for approximately one year. They left the capital of Colorado by train, crossing the Corona Pass with it's lariat run up the Continental Divide, as David H. Moffat's Denver & Salt Lake rails continued to move westward with the hopeful goal of reaching Salt Lake City and connecting to the golden coast of California. The next temporary home for the Ohmans was in Rollins, Colorado. The whole family including uncle Ed living in a small cabin behind the cooks shack. Albert and Ed spent most nights camping out with the blasting crews. These crews would work well in advance of the railhead, blasting out a path for the rail bed.

     Russell recalled his father telling that his men were not at all the high society type and they preferred a brawl to a tea party any day. When his crew would set up to camp for the night, it was Albert's habit to take his bunk and bedroll some distance away from the others. He said he would much rather take his chances with the wildlife than with the men. Albert was a big raw boned man, who could maintain peace among the railroad roustabouts with the help of an ax handle if necessary.

     After spending the summer at Rollins, the family returned to Denver for the winter and for schooling for the children. With spring they again boarded the work train for the trip over the Corona Pass, past the Yankee Doodle Lake and through the wooden snow sheds which protected the train from avalanches as it traversed the east slope of the great divide above the timberline. The forward point of the Denver and Salt Lake City rail became the cow town of Kremmling, Colorado, and from Kremmling the Ohmans traveled by four horse stage coach over Gore Pass. There were several stops, with fresh teams of horses waiting at each station in the journey across the Buttes and up the Gore Pass. After taking the winding trail down Gore's west slope, the coach moved across the high meadow to the Penny Ranch which is now the town of Yampa, Colorado. Just one night was spent at the ranch, the next morning the journey continued on to Huggins. Here Albert, who was working several more miles to the west, met up with his family with a buggy and mule drawn wagon. Bumping along the wagon trails and fording the streams, Pearl remembered, they would stop to let the kids and the family dog run and stretch. They settled down in Oak Creek, Colorado, a brawling deep-shaft coal mining town, where they lived in a "railroader's cottage" (a house with walls of wood planking and a canvas top). The children were enrolled in school and this would be their home for the next two years.

     Pearl recalls that her father would keep 15-20 yellow sticks of dynamite in the coal stove's warming oven to dry them out for the next work day! Albert also kept kegs of powder inside of the tent home to protect them from the elements. Pearl also recalled that Ida was not happy about this and raised Cain with Albert telling him he was going to blow them all up! However the dynamite always stayed in the oven so it would be dry in the morning.

     As the Denver & Salt Lake City rails were tamped down from the high passes and through the canyon into the Pleasant Valley the Ohmans moved once again. The families new home was Keystone, Colorado a small rail and coal town west of Oak Creek. Here home consisted of two tents with board sides: one was the kitchen where Ida did all the cooking and baking and the other was a bedroom which had one bed for the parents and another for the three children. Ida had plenty of mouths to feed with Albert running three crews of men, pearl recalls how the men would always show up at the kitchen tent for Ida's coffee and rolls. The small pot belly stove they had was often insufficient so it was not odd to wake up with a heavy frost on top of the bedding. Pearl often told me, that if anyone had hardships her mother really did.

     When it came time to move again the Ohman family loaded up two wagons with all of their belongings and set out for Steamboat Springs, arriving there on October 7th, 1907. It would still be more than a year before the first locomotives would whistle into town and nearly five years before there would be regular train service. The children had missed a month of school and were quickly enrolled, with Pearl in grade five, Russell joining the fourth graders and little Myrtle in the second grade. Unfortunately, the Ohman's were met with great disappointment when they arrived in Steamboat. Albert had rented them a house paying three months in advance, but because of a housing shortage, they found the house was occupied by squatters that refused to budge. Luckily, the Harwig family came to their aid offering them hospitality while they looked for other living arrangements. They found one in the Fairview addition on the hillside overlooking the town of Steamboat Springs. It had a good soft well and a barn and an outhouse. But, this house had previously been employed as Steamboats pest house, where as it had been used to quarantine ill people with such contagious diseases as small pox and scarlet fever. Pearl said the neighbors warned them against renting the house, but they fumigated it and moved in the very next day. This became the Ohman's permanent home.       

    The first Denver and Salt Lake City train pulled into Steamboat Spring Colorado on December 13th, 1908, but the line was still being completed and the service was irregular. In 1912 after much fanfare the railroad began regular passenger and freight service with the inaugural runs being greeted by hundreds of valley residents and the ringing of church bells.Bottles popped in Brooklyn and the celebration lasted for days. 1912 also marked the approaching end to Albert’s career as a railroader and Moffat’s dream of a line to the West Coast as his finances dwindled. In 1913 under new management the D&SL extended to Craig and there it stopped. The two main reasons that Albert stopped his career as a railroader were 1.) Ida was weary of tent living and work gangs and felt it was no way to raise a family so she told him the family was staying in Steamboat Springs. 2.) The times were changing Albert had used hand drills to cut the channels for his powder that opened the road bed for the railroad. By 1913, steam powered drills were being used with large horse drawn machines. It would have demanded a large investment to continue so Albert stepped aside although he was to continue his dangerous blasting work on projects in the county for several years to come. Albert worked completing a number of construction contracts in the valley. In 1909 he did the contract for the excavation of the 175 foot long open air bathing pool for Steamboat. In 1910 he completed the contract to blast out a new shaft for the juniper mine north of Oak Creek. In 1916 he completed the contract for widening the highway between Bear River and Mount Harris. In 1917 he completed the contract for the excavation of the new Steamboat High School.
         In 1922 he completed the contract for building 1.5 miles of the Steamboat Brookston road. He contracted several of the blasting jobs for building the road over Rabbit Ears Pass. He also worked at the stone quarry on Emerald Mountain which was south of town, blasting out huge chunks of sandstone. Then the stones were cut into slabs and transported by four horse drawn sledges down into the valley where they were used to build the Episcopal Church and several of Lincoln Avenue's finest buildings. He also worked for several years in the construction business with his son in law Joel Anderson. Albert died on August 8, 1938 at the age of 72 and Ida died November 15, 1960 at the age of 89.


Tyke Pierce Construction Company History

Joel Anderson's Story


     Joel Anderson was my Grandfather. Joel was born in Sweden on September 7, 1892. He began working at the age of 12, going to school 4 months and working 8 months a year. He went to work at a brick plant where his first job was driving a horse pulling a pit car full of clay to the mixers for the brick. Then he worked in the kiln stacking brick & tile for baking. Joel along with his elder brother Alex immigrated to America in 1912. They went to Texas and went to work on the locks & dams being built on the Trinity River. After working there for a year he came down with Malaria Fever and the doctors told him it would be a good idea for him to move to a drier climate such as Colorado which brought him to Routt County. When first coming to Steamboat Joel and Alex pitched tents in Strawberry Park and spent that summer picking berries for the commercial growers. A year or so later Alex left Routt County moving to Clear Creek County where he established some gold claims and spent the rest of his life working those claims. Joel found work in the saw mills around the county and started doing some masonry work as well. He would work any odd jobs to make ends meet. One of his odd jobs was transplanting plants for the local green house. It was here early in 1917 that Joel met Pearl Ohman as she was working part time preparing flower arrangements at the same green house. Joel was working in Mount Harris as well and I remember him telling me that he would walk up the railroad track from Mount Harris to Fairview to court Pearl. Joel and Pearl were married on July 28, 1917 at the Ohman home in Fairview. All seven of their children were born in Steamboat Springs: Edwin Joel born March 12, 1918, Ruth Violet (my mother) born May 19,1919, Harold Leroy born July 31, 1921 (died at three months old), Ronald Scott born September 18, 1922, Martha Lucille born August 1, 1925, Sharon Colleen born March 8, 1935 and Lyman Duane born September 7, 1937. 

     Joel had met Carl Howelson late in 1916 and in 1917 the two of them became business associates. Projects that they worked on together were the Solandt Memorial Hospital in Hayden, the new Steamboat High School built in 1917, Steamboat Swimming Pool, Heart Pool in Steamboat and the Whetstones brick residence in Hayden. They were associated in business for six years. In 1924 Joel separated from Carl Howelson and started his own separate business also enrolling in the Chicago Technical College seeking a degree in “Plan Reading, Estimating and Building Superintendence” which he completed and received a degree in 1929. I have his diploma hanging above my desk in my office.  Joel did concrete and masonry work in seven neighboring counties. In an interview with the Steamboat Pilot in 1942 at the age of 50 the interviewer states that if Joel wanted to take a day to visit each of the fireplaces that he had built it would take him one full year to visit them all. I remember Joel telling me that one year in the early thirties he had a couple of fireplaces to do in the Walden area and he would get up at first light and walk over Buffalo Pass to Walden on Monday morning, work the week and then leave to walk back to Steamboat around noon on Friday. All of the river cobble that he used was hand split with a hammer and chisel. His sons Ronald & Edwin worked for him and later his son in law Jack Zulevich. Jack’s son Jim is still working part time in the masonry business today in Steamboat. Grandpa Joel had some unique finishes that he originated the use of in this area – he came out with a convex mortar joint making the joint look similar to a rope and had some special tools made by a local blacksmith for the installation. He also did a lot of plaster and stucco and he came up with what he called “pebble dash” stucco which he would trowel in pea gravel to the finish stucco coat. There used to be some of it left on some houses in the Hill Street area, but I looked and the finishes have been re-done.
    H.W. Gossard commissioned Joel and paid him to install the stone ticket booths and fence pillars at the Rodeo Grounds as well as at the Lithia Spring. He molded the concrete cast caps that are on top of these pillars including a “G” for Gossard. Mr. Gossard also commissioned Joel to do the rock work & benches at the Sulfur Spring, Iron Spring and Soda Spring. He also did all of the cobble stone retaining wall on Soda Creek where it runs through the Gossard Estate north of the bridge at the end of 9th street. He did numerous jobs all over Steamboat, Hayden and Craig including helping build a residence for his in laws (the Ohmans) and two residences for his family– one on 8th street and one on Hill Street. He was constantly molding tables, lawn ornaments and flower planters out of concrete and was the first one in town to start dying his concrete with different colors calling it “Colorcrete”. I remember the word Colorcrete was detailed in the stucco on his garage/shop on Hill Street in large capital letters.
    Joel and his sons worked together with my father W.Lloyd Pierce on many, many projects subcontracting the concrete, masonry & plaster work as my father’s business was a General Contracting Business. Joel pretty much retired by 1954 as he had been stricken with crippling arthritis and the pain he had to endure was debilitating. I had the privilege of spending almost every Sunday with Joel & Pearl from 1958 to 1962 – Grandma Pearl and I would go to church and then Grandpa Joel and I would play Chinese Checkers for two or three hours after church. He wasn’t able to set in the pews with his arthritis, but he could set in his easy chair and beat me at Chinese Checkers. During this time is when he shared so many stories with me and they are very well cherished. Joel Anderson died on July 28, 1962 a little more than a month before his 70th birthday. Pearl Anderson died on September 10, 1994 at the age of 98.


Tyke Pierce Construction Company History

Lloyd and Ruth Pierce's Story


      My father Woolsey Lloyd Pierce was born in Miller County Missouri on April 10th, 1918. Everyone called him Lloyd and he named his construction company W.L. Pierce Construction Company. He quit school in 1933 at the age of fifteen, to go to work at the CC camps that had been started by the government as a worker relief program. This is where he got his start in the field of construction. He was only in the CC program for about a year, when he and a cousin decided to hop a freight train and go in search of work. Like so many other people of this time period he was looking for a new permanent home and a chance to build a better life.

      He came to Steamboat Springs in 1937 and took a job working at the Pine Grove Ranch, putting up hay and helping with the wheat harvest. On one occasion he had gone into town and taken himself out for dinner at the Harbor Hotel restaurant where Miss Ruth Violet Anderson just happened to be his waitress. She didn't seem to be paying enough attention to Lloyd so he proceeded to take the salt and pepper shakers that where on his table home with him. He figured she would soon be out to the ranch to retrieve them, as in those days when something went missing from a table, it was deducted from the waitresses pay check. Lloyd was right and Ruth was at the Pine Grove Ranch the next day, though at this point she did not go on a date with him. That fall Lloyd decided to go to Brown's Park as he was offered a job there wrangling wild horses for the Johnny Grounds Family. As he was leaving town he stopped by the Harbor Restaurant to tell Ruth Violet that he would be coming back soon to marry her. Whether, she was trying to play hard to get or just being contrary, she told him that she doubted if that would ever happen! Lloyd worked for the Grounds Family that entire winter and returned to Steamboat as promised in the early spring of 1938. He had not forgotten about Ruth, soon they where dating and Lloyd finally convinced her to marry him. They went to Denver to get married on July 19th, 1938. Ruth wanted the Reverend Fooks, who had, until recently, been the Congregational Church minister in Steamboat Springs to perform the ceremony, his daughter whom was Ruth's good friend stood up for them. Lloyd and Ruth had four children all born and raised in Steamboat Springs, Colorado; Thomas Joel born December, 31st, 1939, Carron Ingrid born October 2nd, 1941, Lloyd Bertrand (Tyke) born October 4th, 1950 and Debra Sheen born  December 12th, 1952.

     In that same summer of 1938 Lloyd had been hired by Pete Darvey to build a new house on the old Carren Ranch north of Columbine. The newlyweds lived there in a two room log cabin on the north end of the ranch along Box Creek into late fall. In 1939 Lloyd teamed up with his Father in-law Joel Anderson to build a Swiss Chalet type home for Rex Gill. Lloyd had also purchased a two ton truck that did not have a dump bed. For spare money he hauled gravel for people which he hand loaded into the truck and then back out of the truck on the other end!
    At the beginning of World War II: Lloyd pulled up his tools and decided to do work for the war effort. Doing work for Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri, Lowery Air Force Base  and built the first barracks at Fort Carson in Colorado Springs. He took his family with him to work on the building of Camp Hale Training camp for the Tenth Mountain Division and they lived in a one bedroom shack in the "Pando" work camp that my mother said: was so small, that she had to sit on the foot of the bed in order to cook on the stove. On their way back to Steamboat he had loaded all of their belongings including the dismantled shack on to a trailer, which came unhitched on the road heading up hill on the North side of State Bridge. The whole thing went off the road and into the Colorado River, and they lost everything. 

     When 1944 rolled around and a number of his friends had joined the armed forces, Lloyd decided to join the Naval Construction Battalion, landing him in the Pacific Theater. Some of the demolition experts in his company were the first to land on Iwo Jima. He ended up Chief Petty Officer in charge of the Base Shop Operations on Iwo Jima. When 1946 rolled around and his commanding officer tried to get him to re-enlist, offering him the rank of Warrant Officer, he declined. He was simply too home sick and wanted to get home to his family and his work in Steamboat Springs.

     After returning to Steamboat Springs, Lloyd and Ruth decided to buy a property near the 5th Street bridge, which they developed into the Anchor Motel. Here, they raised their family until 1960. In 1948 Lloyd partnered up with Rube Jensen (the manager of Steamboat Lumber Company) and they built four spec homes on Missouri Avenue-the houses where all done and sold in a matter of six weeks-they were sold for $8,500.00 each. Lloyd also became good friends with John Burroughs (the Author), who hired him to build two log cabins on Wither's Hill. John gave my father two boxes of inlay woods which he had gathered form all over the world which I still have some left in my shop today.

     By the year 1950, Lloyd's construction business was really taking off. He was keeping busy building commercial buildings in Northwest Colorado. In 1952 Phillips Petroleum Company asked him to build and develop their executive retreat at Lake Agnes on the East side of Rabbit Ears Pass. His company built all of the infrastructure, buildings, water/sewer systems, stables, roads, marina, and boat docks. He kept a crew busy with this project from 1952 thru 1959. In 1959, he built Steamboat's first condominium building which had only eight units. The project was built for Dorothy Wither and Gene Sternberg was the Architect. This Building is still located at the top of Crawford Hill on 11th Street with a great view of the 90 meter ski jump on Howelson Hill. This was the first project that Tyke worked on, he painted the insides of the closets.Tyke and his brother Tom worked with their father for many, many years. We both remember hand mixing concrete for all of our projects up until 1969, when ready mix plants eased some of our manual work load. In the year 1966, Lloyd, Tom and Tyke hand mixed enough concrete to build the spillway at Sherriff's Reservoir in one summer. We lived in an army tent for three months during this job.

     In 1963 Lloyd's Company built Steamboat Springs a new reservoir which held 5 million gallons of water and because it was built 100 feet higher then the old one, greatly improved the water pressure for the town.

     In the 60's his company also installed the water system for the Steamboat Cemetery from a pump station out of the river, the new courthouse annex, a large addition to the Yampa Valley Electric Building (which was  originally built in the 50's), Routt County National Bank at 3rd street and Lincoln, the R&B market, a residence for Ed and Marydene Root, and several other projects around Routt County. Lloyd was a community man, He was a member of the Kiwanis's Club, a life time member of the VFW Club where he served as commander for a couple of years, and he also served two terms on the Steamboat Springs City Council in the 70's.

     Both of his sons had the privilege of working with their father for a long time. Tom until he was hired as the Regional Building Inspector in Routt County in 1978 and Tyke until Lloyds death in 1995.

     The number of buildings and construction projects completed by Lloyd seems to be nearly bottomless. Banks, schools, hospitals, municipal water systems, utility buildings and new residences in a five county area. To name a few: Rifle State Bank in Rifle, the Fire station and Town hall in Meeker, the BLM Building in Craig, Moffat County State Bank in Craig, First Federal Savings and Loan in Craig, three additions to the Memorial Hospital in Craig, the Congregational Church in Hayden, the Yampa Valley Electric Building and two additions, Steamboats two Fire stations, four additions to the Steamboat schools, Steamboat's Catholic Church, The Old west Building, the Inn at Thunderhead Condominiums, the original Gallery restaurant at the base of Mt. Werner, the first commercial building at the ski area, two post offices for Steamboat, addition to the Kremmling elementary school, the Burns Post Office, the Eagle Post Office, and the Baggs Wyoming High School. 

     In 1990, Lloyd, Tom and Tyke sat down and counted all of the buildings on the main street in Steamboat Springs, there were only two that they had not built, remodeled or altered at some point in time. In 1974 they had 75 employees working with several jobs going at one time in Northwest Colorado. Colorado Macco which later became TIC was a subcontractor to W.L. Pierce Construction Company when the ski mountain was first being built. Ruth single handedly ran the office until 1974 when it became too much for her, at which point Tyke moved into the office to learn and perform that end of the business. Woolsey Lloyd Pierce died while working on a piece of property he had purchased on November 1st, 1995 at the age of 77. Ruth died on January 17th, 1989 four months short of her 70th birthday.


Tyke Pierce Construction Company History

Tom Pierces Story


The company history of Tyke Pierce Construction would simply not be complete without including Tom Pierce's (Tykes older brother) Story. All of the four Pierce children were born and raised in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Tom Pierce, the eldest of the children, was born on December 31st, 1939. The children spent their summer vacations fishing and playing along the Butcherknife and Spring Creeks. Everyone in the small town of Steamboat Springs, Colorado, new every one else and it was a safe and loving time and place for anyone to grow up in. There was always time to ski and play football and have an honest to goodness childhood; without the pressures and dangers that so many young people now face in today's society. "We were lucky to grow up in a time and place when kids still had a carefree childhood" Tom says. "There was next to no crime at all in Steamboat Springs. Crime was always somewhere else, either in the newspaper or on the radio. Charlie Shell was our day policemen and Cody Shinn worked at night."

    Tom and Tyke both went to work for their father's construction company, Pierce Construction, almost as soon as they were old enough to swing a hammer or push the wheelbarrow. At that time the Pierce family was making its home in the Anchor Motel that they also operated as a business, which was built by Pierce Construction.

      Right out of high school, Tom met Helen Lynch. Her father had come from Arkansas to work in the local sawmills. Tom and Helen soon married raising four sons and one daughter of their own in Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

    Lloyd taught his sons the construction business, literally from the ground up. "He started me out with a shovel in a ditch. I wasn't promoted until I knew the basics" Tom says, smiling at the memory. Construction in those days lasted from June until November, during the heaviest snow months work came to a standstill in Steamboat Springs. Tom gradually moved from head carpenter to job project superintendent, to general superintendent of the company. W.L. Pierce Construction built the Yampa Valley Electric Building, the Routt County National Bank and many more projects in down town Steamboat Springs. They competitively bid and won 100's of jobs throughout Northwestern Colorado and Wyoming. At one time Tom supervised 225 employees at W.L. Pierce Construction.  

     Unfortunately, in 1972, while moving snow at a project sight in Craig, Colorado, Tom ruptured a disk. It required an operation followed by a secondary surgery two years later. In 1976 he was back in the hospital for a third attempt to alleviate the pain and correct the injury. Still he continued to be plagued with constant back pain. After his third back surgery Tom decided that it was just time to look for less strenuous work. In November of 1977, He applied for the position of Building Inspector for Routt County and a new chapter in his life began. 

     In 1978, when Tom accepted the building department position, he brought with him 25 years of practical, hands-on construction experience that proved to be invaluable. His professional philosophy concerning his position as Routt County Building Inspector was communication over regulation. Tom was well liked and respected by the construction community because he strongly believed that his departments job was to educate the public about building codes as well as enforce them. His office saved contractors and construction companies thousands of dollars by recommending better construction techniques for our climate and area that would meet the local code. These efforts prevented many structural problems that are quite difficult to fix after the fact and everyone is better off in the long run. Tom ran the Routt County Building department from 1978 to the early 1990's, during the time of the most explosive building boom that has of yet occurred in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. 

     Tom retired from the Routt County Building Department in the 1990's. He and Helen moved North to Montana as his eldest son had previously done. His two youngest sons moved at the same time and reside in Montana currently. Retirement inspired Tom to further develop his life long hobby of Western Art into yet another full blown profession. His art is beautiful and obviously grounded in the Western Culture he grew up with. It depicts the rugged individuality of the old west, which he has captured on the canvas & clay of his Artwork. We have included a few samples of his many western paintings that are available in print at request. He is also available for commissioned work upon request. If interested in prints or some of Tom's other work please contact this website expressing interest in Art by T.J. Pierce.